Thursday, May 8, 2014

Restricted perception


So I was browsing the Pathfinder Reddit section and came across this post. In it, Delanish talks about a new game he joined. In it, he wanted to play a Wizard but was told no, he had to play a Fighter first and learn that class before he could tackle spells.


Well i've started with a new pathfinder group and they said roll up a character let's get started i'm new with it and made an elf wizard level 5 they said oh no your not playing a wizard and told me i must play a fighter. I like having a large arrange of options available to me. as a fighter i feel quite bored saying "Can i hit it?" Ok.. I roll 1d20+AB+STR ok roll damage 1d8+STR. which is super boring to me.
I discuss this with my GM and he told me you got to learn how to play a warrior before you can play anything with spells. i have fallen asleep a few times during our sessions due since i don't have to think. Since i have no knowledge skills, no social skills and only have one option in a fight.

Later he comments that he isn't even "allowed" to interact in social situations because his character is "meant to be a turtle and nothing else."


Well basically the character they gave me was a dwarf, 7 int, 5 cha, 9 wisdom 12 dex, 17 strength and 21 con at level five i have no skill points in anything. and i was told i'm not allowed to do social interaction since my character is meant to be a turtle and nothing else. my feats are toughness 6 times my character has high armour class at 23 and hp of 92

 
This is horrible GMing and a horrible role-playing group. While I would concede that playing a Fighter is probably the easiest class to pick up, playing a spellcaster is no giant leap in difficulty. The real big difference between a spellcaster and a Fighter is that spellcasters are generally less forgiving for crappy builds. If you build your caster with crappy feats, crappy spells then you are almost useless. A Fighter with crappy feats still has a decent hp and can hit stuff. Yes a crappy spellcaster can do the same, but on average a Fighter would be slightly more useful.

Fellow Redditors give good advice telling him to leave the group. This will only make him resent the Fighter class and even Pathfinder. Both Fighter and Wizard can be exceptionally good. Each has their own play style and it is up to the player to pick based on what they like.

And remember, groups don't always have to be "balanced". Some of the most fun I have had we were missing important roles, like healer or tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment